Sunday, August 4, 2013

Grilling and Chilling

Lazy Sunday for our household. Got up late (9am), Shelby and I had our ritualistic bowl of cereal in front of Team UmiZoomi. Oddly enough, I got hungry again at about 11:30am after Shelby and the husband left to run errands. I was in the middle of a documentary film called "Vegecated" that was about 3 people challenged to become vegans for 6 weeks. I paused the movie and made myself a garden burger on whole grain topped with onion and a quick 'guacamole' I whipped up. I re-positioned myself in front of the television and started the movie again. Finishing the last bite and washing it down with a bottle of water, the movie went to a turning point. Suddenly, home movies of slaughterhouses appeared on the screen. I was totally unprepared and my emotions ran wild. Living in the Deep South where hunting is as much a sport as it is a lifestyle, I am accustomed to the killing of animals for food and the cleaning process that goes with it. We simply lie in wait for our dinner and kill it as efficiently and quickly as possible with some remorse out of respect for the animal that had given its life. This was something totally different and inhumane. There were videos of chickens being crushed alive, soft innocent baby chicks being fed into a meat grinder hopping and peeping to get out, baby piglets being castrated (having their baby testicles pulled off) with bare hands and having their tails clipped with no anesthesia, live cows and pigs hooked to giant meat hooks struggling to get away before having things done to them I have only seen faked in horror movies. I literally had to look away because I was about to throw up in my living room. I decided to go this route initially because of my health, but to ignore those cold videos is to deny my humanity and to deny that there is pain in anything but humans. I am disgusted and appalled. Describing it to my husband later when he got home, I was in tears and he shook his head with his eyes wide and said, "Wow, that's just demented!"

He still had steak for dinner.

Not blaming in any way because a week and a half ago I would have joined right in with a slab of carcass myself marinated in Dale's and slathered in steak sauce. But tonight, something changed. I refuse to contribute to the horrors I witnessed today. Instead I had a marinated giant Portabello cap, asparagus, and a green salad with balsamic vinegar. Simple and yummy. Unfortunately I added too much Dale's to the Portabello cap and too much soy sauce to the asparagus, so EVERYTHING besides the salad was way too salty. Oh well, I can't always be perfect!

On another subject, I've been thinking about cloth diapering the new baby. I've looked into disposables again, and with the prices rising and pushing $40+ for a Sam's Club sized box, I'm wondering if it might be a better investment to simply break down and purchase cloth diapers that I can eventually sterilize and resell. Another reason was thinking about the amount of diapers our toddler has gone through and the training pants she's currently in and using. It's the time thing that gets me, and the fear of the unknown I suppose. Did you know that ONE diaper takes about 500 years to decompose? That's literally twice the age of America itself! It just seems kind of wrong to dump trash that's going to outlive my great great grandchildren. I was checking into Seventh Generation disposables as well, but I haven't been able to really see their ingredients to know if they are biodegradable or simply 'unbleached' puffy silicone crap. Going to go check that tonight on their website.

Well, that's pretty much been my lazy day. Uneventful, minus the almost vomiting and over-marinating of dinner. Will write more tomorrow, until then, happy eating!

**Update on this- I wanted to let everyone know that I checked Seventh Generation's site and they did not list their ingredients in there, but in another blog I found information that points to the diapers as being the same as regular disposables with the silicon pellets and 500 year decomp rate. I believe I will be going cloth this time, and I found a good deal on a small starter kit at Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment