Thursday, August 8, 2013

Spiritual Inflection

Today I said something to a good friend of mine and it sparked a connection in my mind that I thought I might share. I'm sure this has been gone over 1000 times in other blogs and studies, but I thought it was worth the effort to write it in my own words. I made the connection today that I don't believe it's the eating meat part that I'm grossed out and upset about. I honestly believe that it's the manner in which the meat was produced and harvested that disgusts me the most.

Almost all religions and cultures believe in peace and harmony. They promote peace among people and some even promote respect toward all living things. That's the key word. Respect. I believe that these animals meet their demise with fear and pain in their hearts at the hands of disrespectful (and some demented) humans. Somehow that spiritual vibration reverberates through their neatly packaged bodies for sale and is ingested into our bodies, nourishing us with protein and a side of evil. I have noticed that the way my family took meat from the wild and from our own stock is totally different than that of the commercial farmer. I realized that was because where we were concerned with causing the animal as little pain as possible and feeding our families, commercial farmers are only concerned with greed and more money.

It all comes full circle.

I managed to complete a few errands done today before it rained hard for about 3 hours at noon. My daughter and I climbed into my king-size bed and watched 'Melmo' until she finally tired out and fell asleep. I started feeling a little lazy myself and fell asleep right after she did with her little 2 year old tow-head in the crook of my arm. Memories are something you will never get to do again, but they are sure something beautiful to look back on. Yeah I lost half the afternoon, didn't clean the living room, and wound up feeling too sorry at dinnertime to cook, but I "held" both my babies as we all slept. Can't even pay for a feeling that good.

She went with Daddy this afternoon to the woods. That little girl loves her some woods and helping Daddy with anything he remotely asks her. I think it's cute, however, this afternoon Daddy repaired a utility golf cart for a friend of his and decided to test drive it down to the lease and to his tree stand. Now, the lease is only about a mile or two from the house, all residential side streets, but there are NO safety restraints in the golf cart. I knew she was safe with him and he would keep off the right-of-way, but I have horrible anxiety. The entire time they were gone I was watching the clock, practically sitting on my phone. I just knew she was going to fall out of that thing and get run over. Or snake bit. Or they were going to get chased by a rabid bear. You know, all the wild irrational things mothers think will happen to their toddlers when they are out of sight. *sigh* They returned an hour later, unscathed and greasy with Skin So Soft bug spray on. I need to look for a better alternative to that stuff. It works fantastic, but anything I spray on that I can't even read the ingredients list and it makes our skin tingle without menthol can't be good.

So anyway, nothing else fantastic happened today. Had a plate of super greasy 'Heavenly Hash' from Coram's for dinner with some grits, but I'm paying for that now with the devilish heartburn that follows. Heavenly Hash is a concoction of hash brown potatoes, diced or sliced ham, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, sometimes mushrooms, and jalapenos with slices of cheese on top and served with a side of toast. If I had to compare it to a national chain, which it's really not comparable, but I would say Waffle House's hash browns where you can get them sliced diced etc. I had mine minus the ham. Still magically delicious. Still causes the same grease-induced heartburn and burps. The child had her favorite, a half order of biscuits and sausage gravy. For a tiny, underweight two-year old, that child can put away some food. She ate almost all of it. But I don't think I have ever seen her walk anywhere, she's always full speed ahead running and dancing. Hope she doesn't get fat like me, but I'm trying to learn new habits to show her. The best way to teach someone is to show them, right? No one is going to listen to your advice and ignore your example in other words. :)

So that's been my uneventful day. Going to go surf around and cause trouble on facebook for a while. Happy eating everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment