Saturday, August 3, 2013

Revelation in Documentaries

Well, before it gets TOO late and I am TOO tired to do it, I'll post for the day. Today was kind of a lazy day for us, we had a wedding at 7pm to attend (which our daughter totally showed her behind at! Very disappointed in her!) so I whipped up a quick lunch of an avocado, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little feta cheese, juice of half a lime, thin slice of onion, cucumber, and some paprika. Mixed it all together with a little salt and stuffed what I could in a whole grain flax pita. I mixed what little was left in the bowl with a handful of raw baby spinach leaves and voila! Instant lunch. The 2 year old wasn't interested in it to say the least, but that was fine with me because it was delicious!

The wedding tonight was at a friend of our's parents' house. You know, coming from middle class and sometimes dipping to lower-middle class, I've always dreamed of owning a home with a beautiful view, perfect landscaping, immaculate interior, fine antique furniture, an elaborate patio with soft outdoor lighting strategically placed to make a fairy tale deck, you know-the magazine house. My husband and I have worked hard for where we live now, a simple home on an acre (paid in full mind you) completely redone on the inside with new everything because it was a foreclosure, and I have pride in where I live. But you always aspire for something bigger. I realized tonight as I sat in the glow of the patio lighting that these people were just like me. They worked hard for what they had, they simply made more money doing what they did than I did. They still had to pay the electric company. The sun still set at their house. They still had to go to work. I guess the old saying 'They put their pants on one leg at a time just the same as I do' finally hit me in the head. This place we were invited to, albeit beautiful, was not a fairy tale home-this was just a house. Just like mine. Only our family and our love could make a place uniquely our home, and our home is just as beautiful as any.

The wedding was beautiful as well. Simple and elegant with a solo violinist. The offerings for the reception held on the patio were Italian in nature, ranging from ziti with marinara to stuffed manicotti with ricotta and spinach. I managed to have my husband find me a small salad with vinaigrette, a lone manicotti, and some sort of mashed potato stuffed thing that looked like a huge fried mozzarella stick at first. Not so good for the au naturale whole grain and dairy free, but I pushed the piece of fried chicken for the Marsala aside to Geff. So that was ok.

I have been a movie junkie for most of the day, which is not like me. I usually can't sit through a whole movie. But I watched Forks Over Knives again (a MUST SEE, Netflix has it on their lineup if you have a subscription) and it was on from there. I watched several interesting movies along the same lines and all of them had the same storyline-plant based foods are more healthy and provide ALL the necessary nutrients for living. I mean, there were some pretty outrageous claims on there, from vitamin C cures cancer to vitamin B cures depression. I kind of believe it to, I mean the body is a fabulous healer when it's not consistently ingesting poisons and toxins like highly refined foods, junk, and processed meals. If you haven't Googled the McDonald's burger and fries in the doctor's office that has been left on the tray for a decade and HASN'T molded or even begun to decay, you need to NOW. This is the fast "food" you are feeding your kids, people you love, and above all-YOURSELF! Yuck.

So, that's been my day in foodie adventures. I hope I can have even an inkling of the willpower some of these folks on the entire plant based foods diet had in the documentaries I watched today. I know it will be more healthful for not only me, but build a strong foundation for my daughter(s!) in their nutritional futures. On a closing note, I realized something watching the movies and when they said it, I realized that as long as I kept the mindset I have now I will be ok. One of the commentators mentioned the moment you take the word CAN'T out of your dietary guidelines and reword it as "I CAN have it, but I don't WANT it." Interesting twist.

So, happy eating to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment