Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Whole Foods Challenged Grocery Store

As far as grocery shopping goes around here, if you're shopping for organic, vegetarian, or vegan foods anywhere besides Publix, you're usually going to be in the wrong store. Publix in Panama City is the Wiggins Auto Parts of food; if no one else in the county has it and it seems to be an obsolete "big city" ingredient, Publix will have it.

Occasionally, there will be organic foods in Winn Dixie (Hwy 231 at Transmitter's store has a small section whereas the one in Callaway has a little bigger section) near the end of the fresh produce section. Winn Dixie in Callaway has a separate freezer section at the end of the produce section with assorted frozen vegetarian and vegan foods like Amy's burritos, limited soy "ice creams", and Food for Life breads.To be completely honest, I have not gone in there looking for Garden Burgers yet, but I'm going to assume those are with the regular frozen patties being that I haven't seen them in the small freezer section set aside for organic foods.  There is also one double sided shelf directly across from the small freezer section with shelf stable foods like organic pastas, chips, cereals, baking goods, and candy bars. If you are looking for "milks", there are a few non-refrigerated ones on the shelf stable section (rice milk), other than that they are going to be over in the dairy section near the cow's milk and creamers. Winn Dixie carries not only Silk Soy, but also Silk Almond. I prefer Silk Soy Vanilla Light, less calories and is lightly sweetened so I don't miss my sweet cow's milk as much. Occasionally they will have Silk Almond Chocolate, now THAT is a treat. Imagine a liquid Hershey's bar. Yep. Organic canned vegetables are mixed in with the regular canned vegetables, but have an all white label with the word 'Organic' in a type of handwritten script.

Sam's Club has a very limited section of organic and vegan friendly items. In the bread section Sam's has a nice selection of whole grain breads, including Arnold brand. You have to buy two loaves at a time which works for my family. They also have things such as large bags of organic baby carrots, and a large tub of organic baby spinach or organic baby salad greens. Silk Vanilla is in the dairy section next to the cow's milk, and comes in a large 3 half-gallons pack (which is where I normally buy it only because it's a few cents cheaper). I checked the ice cream freezers on my last trip and although they have a huge amount of ice creams, sherbets, and novelty items, I did not see any dairy alternatives or organics. I'm sure there are a few organic frozen veggies in the freezer section, but it would take some serious time and scouring to find them. In the shelf stable products, the only thing I have found has been Mara Natha Almond Butter. It's not listed as "Organic" but the label says all natural and in the ingredients the only thing not certified as organic is the roasted almonds. For some reason I lean towards this one as it's a giant container for $7, whereas the "Organic" container at Publix is half the size for the same price. Hey, I know shopping more healthful is more expensive, but I'm not trying to kill myself with these prices.

Wal Mart. How I loathe thee. Tiny if non-existent organic produce section. No frozen goods besides Boca Burgers and a few assorted Morning Star Farms meatless products. There's also a small 3 bay section of shelf stable foods mixed in with the rest of the grocery section, crammed with everything for all dietary concerns from gluten free to baking ingredients. You have to look for this section in each store, but I usually am able to spot it by the giant GLUTEN FREE packages and the Bob's Red Mill logos on other packages. All of these products vary by which Wal Mart you go into, I've seen things like Egg Replacer in some and not in others. Wal Mart is usually my last resort for anything.

Olive Leaves on 23rd Street is a good place to go if you know pretty much what you are looking for. They carry strange and obsolete items you may not even find at Publix, like the nutritional yeast I love so much (sarcasm intended). But seriously, if it's something you can't find anywhere else and seems like an oddity, Olive Leaves will probably have it, and the folks there are ready to guide you to the item in the store if you can't find it on your own. They have an interesting selection of things that I have never even heard of as well. If nothing else it's definitely fun to go in there and look around at the new foods and vitamins.

I have only been into Mount of Olives on 23rd Street once, and it seemed like more of a supplement and vitamin shop than a grocery. I had to find some C-herb, but that's a whole 'nother blog for another day.

On to my favorite, Publix. I have a love/hate relationship with Publix; I love being able to find what I need, however, I hate the prices they slap on the organics and how there are NEVER any coupons for any of the healthier foods. I am going to try to scour the internet a little better for coupons to defray the costs, because my last small buggy-full was $200 and being a stay at home mom and student, that is kind of unacceptable. I have found Publix on Hwy 77 has a better selection of organics and is better organized as far as the organics go, although some of the foods are mixed in with the regular foods. Publix has not only the "Greenwise" section for fruits and veggies, if you are looking for your family and they are not vegan or vegetarian Publix has Greenwise organic meats as well. There are pitas and pita chips, hummus dip, organic fruits and veggies, and of course on Hwy 77 the whole foods section is in the front next to the pharmacy. It's not huge, but there is a lot more to choose from than most of the grocery stores in town. They do carry vital wheat gluten for homemade seitan, boxed meals like Annie Chun's Pad Thai (add your own veggies/tofu), Organicville salad dressings, Bragg's Liquid Aminos (this is like a vegan version of Dales or soy sauce), cereals, granolas, cookies, chips, dips, even sulfite free wines. In the frozen section (across from the hot dogs and next to the open deep freezer with meats in it) there is a pretty good selection of Morning Star Farms and other brands of meatless entrees, quick meals, and just imitation meats by themselves. I have found the meatless crumbles (ground "beef") is pretty good in tacos if you season it, and although the "bacon" they have looks like dog treats, it's actually pretty good as well. It's not bacon, but it's salty and meaty tasting and kind of favors turkey bacon when it's cooked crisp.

This is what I have found so far at the grocery stores around here. If you know of any more or want to add your own, please do! I can always use tips on where to get things and I'm sure others will appreciate it as well! Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment